velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthoriamthejoel
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009

Big time newbie here...so please forgive me if this is the wrong place for this but I have a Scwhinn that I think is getting pretty old...got it at a salvo half off saturday for $20.

1) Any ideas on what year it might be?

2) Is it a good candidate for a fixed gear conversion?

Thanks!

• CommentAuthorLyKqiD
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009

Posted By: ohsodistantthe geometry of the bike isn't aggressive enough.

That is about the oddest reason I have ever heard not to convert a bike. I highly doubt he plans on hitting the track. Is Mercier Kilo geometry anymore aggressive then this?

Logistically speaking, you have a horizontal drop out so you have enough space to get the right chain tension with a fixed gear conversion.
    • CommentAuthorM0THER

Where are the serial numbers located? Sometimes you can tell by placement and with the actual numbers. Use this site http://www.bunchobikes.com/serialnumber2.htm to figure out the year but I'm going to guess, I'm not sure at all, that your bike is probably made between the 70's and 80's so use that link.

Annnnd

It's totally plausible to make this a conversion. A frame with more of an "aggressive" geometry might take time getting used and most likely cost more than 20$. Having a conversion might ease you into riding fixed gear and eventually, if you do fall in love with it, you'll start blowing crazy cash on frames and other components. It's like a cycle most people go through, I think.
    • CommentAuthordanzap209

Here's what I did with mine.... but you will be wanting to ride something better soon

http://velospace.org/node/20004
    • CommentAuthordanzap209

If you're on a tight budget, build it. You will learn a lot...
    • CommentAuthormmediaman

if the standover height fits you like a pair of jeans then convert it. touring frames are easier to get into the groove of riding fixed, and are in my opinion better for street riding. also check sheldon brown's site to see what frame it is. the head badge and serial tell a lot. schwinn quality is cheap tawain or japanese, schwinn chicago is good, still japanese. made in tawain stickers mean its a Giant built schwinn.
    • CommentAuthoralexbet813
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009 edited

one good way to find out the year or time period on a Schwinn is off of the front badge i can see it very well in your pictures, but it kinda looks like a a second or third production run in Taiwan. if it has rivets on the sides of the badge its older USA if its rivets on the top and bottom its late USA production, if its no rivets its over seas

in addition the 3 piece crank is kinda confusing it means its either much more recent or its a different bottom bracket and crank than it had originally

hope this helps
    • CommentAuthorgelpicorp
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009 edited

yep, i have a schwinn that even had a made by giant sticker on it. bottom bracket serial number started with a G. my '87 taiwan schwinn/giant head badge had rivets on the sides, though.

paint job reminds me of a moon pie.
    real alexbet813? i have a le tour with badge left and right and it also says made in japan.

Posted By: alexbet813one good way to find out the year or time period on a Schwinn is off of the front badge i can see it very well in your pictures, but it kinda looks like a a second or third production run in Taiwan. if it has rivets on the sides of the badge its older USA if its rivets on the top and bottom its late USA production, if its no rivets its over seas

in addition the 3 piece crank is kinda confusing it means its either much more recent or its a different bottom bracket and crank than it had originally

hope this helps

It has rivets on the side...no stickers or anything that say anything about where it was made though. There is a "2204" stamped onto the badge...is that my serial number? If it isn't...where can I find my serial number?

Thanks so much for all your help! I think regardless of when it was made I'm gonna try to build the fixed gear myself with this frame.

Hey alexbet813 are you in Tampa? I am too!
    you can find the s.n on the bb or on my schwinn the drop outs

Posted By: carbon fiber15you can find the s.n on the bb or on my schwinn the drop outs

Ok I am so sorry to be such a newb but I have no idea what the "bb" or the "drop outs" are.

Again...sorry!
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

It's lugged but they ain't fancy lugs, so made in Japan, maybe Taiwan.

bb bottom bracket

Dropout- axle slot

http://sheldonbrown.com/glossary.html

Read to Learn - Learn to Read

Posted By: SkidMarkIt's lugged but they ain't fancy lugs, so made in Japan, maybe Taiwan.

bb bottom bracket

Dropout- axle slot

http://sheldonbrown.com/glossary.html

Read to Learn - Learn to Read

Thanks Mark!

And thanks to everyone for the help...after some hunting I've found it...

Japanese made (panasonic) Schwinn LeTour made August 7th, 1984

thanks!
    • CommentAuthorgelpicorp

yeppers the ending digit is always the year on schwinn headbages, AFAIK. Good deal on jappannesse schwinn moon pie. how did you know it was a le tour? serial number search or is there a logo i just can't see? what size is it?
    • CommentAuthoralexbet813
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009

hey joel the serial number should be on the bottom of the bottom bracket (where the pedals connect to the bike) and drop outs are where the wheels attach, well far as i know and no im all the way in cali

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.