velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Anyone buy the Hold Fast straps already? Was thinkin about gettin a pair but I wanna know if they are any good? 67 bucks for velcro and rope seems quite steep. It would be a lot more convenient for riding though.
    Tons of new straps are hitting the market now that are velcro and don't require a cage. I like the idea of eliminating the cages, and the hassle of feeding the straps into pedals and adjusting them. So, these get rid of those problems, however I worry about a few things. First, how much stretch they have, and hopefully they are laminated on the inside and not just think fabric. Second, I worry about velcro slipping, but there is some strong velcro on the market, so that might not be an issue. However, all velcro wears out with time, so surely these won't last as long as Toshi's. Velcro will last longest if it is not used, so I would just set these tight and never adjustment unless needed.

Anyway...I think you should pick up a pair and right a good review of them here on the site!
    One major problem I see however is that you HAVE to use BMX platform pedals, which really sucks, because not only are they usually 4-5 times heavier than a nice set of track pedals, but they are also not shaped and cut out on the bottom for extra clearance when going around corners, and they are also wider...so there is more chance of pedal strike.

I think this problem right here, having to only use BMX platform pedals, is a major design flaw with these straps. I personally would only ride with single-sided track pedals.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2009 edited

Use plastic BMX pedals like Odyssey twisted PC if weight is a concern. I don't see it as a design flaw, I'm sure the manufacturers intended them for use with BMX pedals. I can't believe they are that expensive to make, where are they made, here or Taiwan?

Shouldn't a nice set of track pedals be complimented with a nice set of toe clips and straps?
    • CommentAuthorEmery
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2009

yeah, its not a flaw. I think that these are designed to be easier to do tricks on, rather than go fast. so they didn't worry about only using bmx pedals.
    • CommentAuthorbigedmiami
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009

i actually just got a pair and rode them for the first time yesterday. as a side not i am running track pedals (origin 8) here is my $.02
    they took about 10 minutes to install, no big deal. due to my pedals being narrow they took a little addl adjusting to keep the buckles from rubbing my crank (easily fixed) first few miles you need to stop and adjust them a few times to get the right combination of foot placement and strap tension. once this is done you really do not need to touch these again. they are very well made and i do not see any issues with the velcro and buckles wearing out, they are pretty much set and forget. i like my straps tight so i did have to use my hand each time i took my foot out to help get my foot back to the correct spot but i think with a little time i can get it done without using my hands. i got in a 50 mile ride on the yesterday and 60% of that ride was in DRIVING!! rain and no issues whatsoever. for the $$ i would say get em and try them out it is a really nice alternative to straps & cages
    good luck
    • CommentAuthorLarzon
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2009 edited

Hope you guys don't mind that i sneak in.
    I also prefer track pedals and i only saw bmx pedal compatible velcros, also i found that most of them are priced a little bit to high and with that in mind i decided to make my own. with the help of my girlfriend, we came up with the first prototypes to fit road/track pedals some time ago.
    maybe check out my page www.aurora-collective.com to see some pictures and learn more about them.
    for the price point, we are planning to sell some of them pretty soon. for inside germany orders we will charge 25€ including shipping and 30€ (which is about $45) for world wide shipping.
    ed, i gotta take those for a spin next time i see you but ur bike is prob way to big for me!

neways, theyre handmade in brooklyn and while they are designed for fixed trick bikes, they have been getting great reviews from riders of all sorts.

from what i have heard they are def worth the money, and the one person i knew who busted one of his recently posted about what great customer service they have so im guessing he got his replaced at little to no charge. i can ask him if u want...
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2009

i have been corresponding with Jeremiah and he is a STRAIGHT up dude!! he is a WICKED rider as well, there are videos of him all over the place. if you are going to get straps Hold Fast is the ONLY one to have
    • CommentAuthorjerereremy
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2009

Posted By: SkidMarkShouldn't a nice set of track pedals be complimented with a nice set of toe clips and straps?

they're made for tricks, apparently.

are they any different from power grips?
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2009

i don't know if they are specifically for tricks, i don't do tricks BUT they hold you in really nice and you dont have any toe rubbing issues that the cages have (or at least i don't have it anymore) they are totally different than power grips in the way they work but i guess from a simple standpoint they serve the same purpose, i think they are more similar to tow straps with no cage. you put your foot in tighten them and they are good to go, just slip your foot in and they are set from then on
    • CommentAuthorride fast
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2009

Posted By: SkidMarkUse plastic BMX pedals like Odyssey twisted PC if weight is a concern. I don't see it as a design flaw, I'm sure the manufacturers intended them for use with BMX pedals. I can't believe they are that expensive to make, where are they made, here or Taiwan?

Shouldn't a nice set of track pedals be complimented with a nice set of toe clips and straps?

made in brooklyn by hand dude.
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2009

Hold Fast (THUMBS UP!!)
    • CommentAuthormktng
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2009

yea im looking to get a set too.
    just easier to ride with imo... and you can wear any kind of shoes :P hahaha
    Posted By: LarzonHope you guys don't mind that i sneak in.
    I also prefer track pedals and i only saw bmx pedal compatible velcros, also i found that most of them are priced a little bit to high and with that in mind i decided to make my own. with the help of my girlfriend, we came up with the first prototypes to fit road/track pedals some time ago.
    maybe check out my pagewww.aurora-collective.comto see some pictures and learn more about them.
    for the price point, we are planning to sell some of them pretty soon. for inside germany orders we will charge 25€ including shipping and 30€ (which is about $45) for world wide shipping.

Wow I love what you've done, great idea to modify the pedal strap for track pedals. I'm just a general street fixed rider, no tricks and no real concern about weight, but the idea of NOT having to buy new BMX platform pedals is certainly appealing!
    Does anyone know if the Hold Fast straps fit in track pedals? Or just solely BMX pedals?
    • CommentAuthorIdahoKid
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2010

Posted By: LarzonHope you guys don't mind that i sneak in.
    maybe check out my pagewww.aurora-collective.comto see some pictures and learn more about them.

Aurora for the win!
    • CommentAuthorTacosalad
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2010 edited

Here's my experience with Hold Fast. I was getting sick of using my spd/platform pedals and only being able to use my only spd compatible shoes (Shimano MT/20D I think, the tags are worn out) to ride safely. I finally decided to get the most comfortable/adjustable option available to allow my once prime bike to turn into a daily beater/commuter. Getting them was a bit of an adventure. They recently moved part of their office to Baltimore, where I live. They emailed me and asked if I wanted to pick them up rather than have them delivered due to proximity. I agreed showed up two days later. My experience was mostly good. One guy was too cool to even say hello, he just looked at me and my bike judgingly (or should I say my bike then me?) and led me inside. Once inside, the other guy was nicer, and (after I got my pedals) we chatted a bit. Once I got outside, I installed them during the brutal Baltimore heat in the industrial park they've setup in, and rode them for a few hours in the steep valleys and ascents of my lovely Bodymore. -About four weeks out, I love these things. They're soo simple yet accomodating. I'm no connoisseur of pedals for vintage track or otherwise, but I really appreciate these. I still have to reach down sometimes to pull them over my foot, but they're worth the money.
    • CommentAuthorwyatt183
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2010

i just ordered some yesterday. they're a bit cheaper on the holdfast website. and as someone said before, they're made in Brooklyn
    they're a good feel on the snafu anorexic pedals, if you're not into the bulky bmx platform standard sizes.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.